Influencing value frameworks and assessments
PHE offers thought leadership in the debate on future directions of value framework methodologies.
- PHE authors have published numerous articles on value framework methodologies in leading policy and medical journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) and Health Affairs
- Darius Lakdawalla served on the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research’s (ISPOR’s) Initiative on US Value Assessment Frameworks special task force in 2016 and 2017
- Wade Aubry serves on the advisory board of the California Technology Assessment Forum (CTAF)
Applying this expertise in value assessments, PHE conducts critical appraisals of health technology assessments and value frameworks ensuring that methods used by technology assessment organizations are accurate and comprehensive. PHE specializes in rapid-response reviews to meet deadlines for public comment and in recreation of models to assess model validity.
PHE has partnered with clients on responses to over 20 Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER) assessments, which have had meaningful impacts on ICER’s final recommendations, including several reversals. We have also conducted thorough assessments of value framework methodologies developed by organizations such as the American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- Chandra A, et al. Utility of cancer value frameworks for patients, payers, and physicians. JAMA. 2016.
- Doctor J, et al. Limitations of traditional health technology assessment methods and implications for the evaluation of novel therapies. Curr Med Res Opin. 2017.
- Goldman D, et al. Valuing health technologies at NICE: recommendations for improved incorporation of treatment value in HTA. Health Econ. 2010.
- Lakdawalla DN, et al. Predicting real-world effectiveness of cancer therapies using overall survival and progression-free survival from clinical trials: empirical evidence for the ASCO Value Framework. Value Health. 2017.
- Schafer J, et al. Value tools in managed care decision making: current hurdles and future opportunities. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2017.
- Seabury SA, et al. Medication adherence and measures of health plan quality. Am J Manag Care. 2015.
- Shafrin J, et al. Patient versus physician valuation of durable survival gains: implications for value framework assessments. Value Health. 2017.